Baptismal Preparation at St. Procopius/Providence of God
Congratulations on the birth of your child! The parish of St. Procopius/Providence of God rejoices with you as you prepare to welcome a new member into the Catholic community and into our parish community.
This information will help you as you seek to have your child baptized into the Catholic faith. The information given here is for baptizing infants and children who have not yet reached the age where they can participate in catechetical classes (around 6 years old). If your child is 7 years or above please contact the parish for information on the preparation process.
The following are the steps to complete to have your child baptized at St. Procopius/Providence of God
- You and the godparent(s) must attend two pre-baptismal classes (each 3 hours long). These classes will help you improve your understanding of the Sacraments.
- We offer classes in conjunction with other parishes in our Pilsen area
- You can get passes to attend the classes from the staff in the front office of the rectory at St. Procopius/Providence of God.
- Since there is a limit to the number of people attending each class, you will need a pass to attend
- The classes are for adults only. No children are allowed. Please make babysitting arrangements for any small children. The classes are offered in English and in Spanish.
- You must have at least one godparent but we gladly accept the tradition of having two.
- Registration for the baptism must be made at least two weeks before the actual baptism. To register the baptism you will need to bring the following to the rectory:
- Pre-Baptismal Class Certificates from both parents and godparents.
- Child’s birth certificate.
- $60 donation ($30 from the parents and $30 from the godparents).
The importance of Choosing Good Godparents
One very important decision you will need to make before attending the Pre-Baptismal classes is the choice of Godparents.
Godparents serve two important functions: They represent the larger church community. They, along with the priest and the parents, welcome the child into the community and signify that welcome by marking the child with the sign of the cross. As community, they are obliged to protect the newest member, guiding, advising, and nurturing the child as he/she progresses in the understanding of the faith.
In addition, godparents pledge to support the parents so that they can bring their child up and train him/her to be active in the Catholic faith. Godparents, themselves, need to be actively involved in the Catholic tradition because they serve as models and guides to the child and the parents. Before the child is baptized the parents promise to be responsible for the child’s religious upbringing and the godparents pledge their willingness to support the parents. This is why we ask that the godparents be active participating Catholics.
Prior t selecting godparents, please be sure that they meet the following:
- They must be at least 16 years of age.
- The must be fully initiated Catholics having received the Sacraments of First Communion and Confirmation.
Baptism is the first step in your child’s faith journey. As the first teachers of your child, may God bless you in your role of raising, teaching, and caring for your child.
Spanish baptisms are offered at 11 am on Saturdays at St. Procopius and English baptisms at 12 pm at Providence of God.
PILSEN BAPTISM PROGRAM 2017 – SCHEDULE OF PREBAPTISMAL CLASSES
The classes on the following dates are on Fridays in Spanish at St. Procopius/Providence of God:
February 3 & 10 from 6:30-9:30pm
March 3 & 10 from 6:30-9:30pm
April 21 & 28 from 6:30-9:30pm
May 5 & 12 from 6:30-9:30pm
June 2 & 9 from 6:30-9:30pm
July 7 & 14 from 6:30-9:30pm
July 23 & 30 from 6:30-9:30pm
September 1 & 8 from 6:30-9:30pm
September 15 & 22 from 6:30-9:30pm
October 6 & 13 from 6:30-9:30pm
October 20 & 27 from 6:30-9:30pm
November 3 & 10 from 6:30-9:30pm
The classes on the following dates are on Sundays in English at St. Procopius/Providence of God:
March 19 & 26 from 1:30-4:30pm
May 21 & 28 from 1:30-4:30pm
July 21 & 28 from 1:30-4:30pm
September 17 & 24 from 1:30-4:30pm
Noveber 12 & 19 from 1:30-4:30pm